Friday, April 17, 2009

A Ruling Class

So I have been Pugging a lot recently. Its really nice to be playing a healer again because I don't even have to join LFG and I have people whispering me. I was asked on 5 separate occasions last night to heal an instance, sadly I am questing and not up for dealing with Pugged blood DK "tanks." Trust me, a blood DK is not a tank. Anyway, regardless of that I decided I needed to lay down rules for Pugging. I know that I have seen a post on this before and there will be many similar posts to come, but I'm going to do it anyway. Deal

1.Play your class
One of the things that annoys me most is people who decide that because they are wearing plate they are a tank. This couldn't be further from the truth. If I was sitting in LFG claiming I was a healer when I was specced for something different people would get annoyed, and yet somehow the tanks are immune to this. I have a theory that this is because the healers job is to make up for the poor tanking abilities and since they are the only one who could really say, "Hey guys, this is a good tank, he hardly takes damage," they are the ones who mainly complain about bad tanks. Its not because we're whiners, its because if we spam heals for the entire instance you will be waiting for us to drink a lot.
I have a different set of standards for dps. If you are dps I don't care what your spec looks like. I know the differences between leveling specs and raiding specs, and I'm fine with you having better mana regen for less dps. My qualifications for dps is that you are doing more damage than our tank, unless hes a Death Knight.

2.Let the tank, tank.
This is best alleviated by something that I call the three second rule. When the mobs notice the tank is not the time to attack. Wait until they get in melee range and strike the tank, then count to three. THEN you will be able to dump every cooldown you could possibly imagine. If you have the right tank (specced correctly) you will not be able to pull off of them, and the group will survive longer because of it.

3.Don't Stand in the Shiny Shit
Honestly, You don't have to know anything about the instance. If fire starts raining from the sky, or a large hole opens on the ground underneath you your best bet is to get the heck out. Don't finish your spell rotation. Get out. If you are not the tank or healer then you will not be a priority on getting healed so get out and your heal will come in a timely manner. With all of the bosses that do more and more AoE damage the healer will see you are in trouble and be able to address it as soon as the tank is stable.

4.Run back
When you wipe it is no one's job but yours to get yourself back to life. If someone has a Soulstone fine, stay there. But in my experience even if we have a warlock I have to beg them for one (something about how they are out of weed and no one else can be stoned if they aren't, I dunno). It only makes everyone's day longer if you choose to go afk and get something to drink on a wipe. You are wasting everyone's time and no one likes you.

5.Don't ask for something, Don't make anyone ask for something.
If you have a buff that you bring to the fight, buff it. Don't make me ask for it. For things like which pali buff you want its okay to request something different, just know that your getting the cheepy. Don't come to a raid and ask if anyone has water. This if fine if we are just hitting the stone to summon, or someone had to pop by town to do something, have them pick you some up and pay them for it. But when we are in the instance buffed and ready to go is not the time to ask for water. I carry between 20-100 drinks on me at all times and I don't share. Go get your own.

So those are my top 5 rules for Pugging. Surprisingly they are almost the same rules for a raid too. I hope I'm not crazy in assuming that people can handle those rules. Give me some feedback. Do I ask too much? Is this hard for people to do? Do cats actually lol?

No comments:

Post a Comment